The Nissan Z is one of the most iconic sports cars in history, with a legacy that spans over 50 years and six generations. The latest iteration, the 2024 Nissan Z, is a stunning tribute to the past and a thrilling vision for the future. It combines a sleek design, a powerful twin-turbo V6 engine, and a choice of a six-speed manual or a nine-speed automatic transmission to deliver a pure and exhilarating driving experience.
But for some drivers, that’s not enough. They want more performance, handling, style, and exclusivity. They want the ultimate Z car that pushes the boundaries of what a sports car can do. They want the 2024 Nissan Z NISMO.
The Z NISMO results from the collaboration between Nissan and NISMO, the company’s motorsport and performance division. NISMO has a rich history of enhancing Nissan’s vehicles for racing and street use, applying the lessons learned from the track to create the most capable and exciting versions of Nissan’s models. The Z NISMO is no exception, as it takes the already impressive Z to a new level of performance and refinement.
What makes the Z NISMO different from the regular Z?
The Z NISMO is not just a regular Z with cosmetic tweaks and a badge. It is a comprehensive upgrade that enhances every aspect of the Z’s performance and appearance. Here are some of the key differences between the Z NISMO and the regular Z:
- Engine: The Z NISMO boosts the output of the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 engine from 400 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque to 420 horsepower and 384 lb-ft of torque, thanks to a revised engine management system, increased cooling capacity, and a larger engine oil cooler. The Z NISMO also features a specially tuned exhaust system that produces a more aggressive and distinctive sound.
- Transmission: The Z NISMO is only available with a nine-speed automatic transmission, which has been reinforced and recalibrated to handle the increased power and torque. The transmission also features a new Sport+ mode, which optimizes the shift timing and response for maximum performance. The Z NISMO also comes with paddle shifters and a launch control system for quick and smooth acceleration.
- Suspension: The Z NISMO features a stiffer and more responsive suspension system, which includes firmer springs, dampers, and anti-roll bars, as well as underfloor chassis braces that increase the rigidity of the body. The Z NISMO also has a lower ride height and wider track width, improving the car's stability and agility.
- Brakes: The Z NISMO is equipped with larger and more powerful brakes, which include 15-inch front rotors with four-piston calipers and 13.8-inch rear rotors with two-piston calipers. The brake calipers are painted red and feature the NISMO logo. The Z NISMO also has a brake cooling system that reduces the brake fade and improves the braking performance.
- Wheels and tires: The Z NISMO rides on 19-inch forged aluminum wheels, which are lighter and stronger than the regular Z’s wheels. The wheels are wrapped with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT600 summer tires, specially designed for the Z NISMO and offer exceptional grip and traction. The tire sizes are 255/40R-19 in the front and 285/35R-19 in the rear.
- Aerodynamics: The Z NISMO features a more aggressive and aerodynamic body kit, which includes a front splitter, side skirts, a rear diffuser, and a rear spoiler. The body kit is inspired by the GT500 race car, which competes in the Super GT series in Japan. The body kit not only enhances the appearance of the Z NISMO but also reduces the lift and drag and increases the downforce and stability of the car.
- Interior: The Z NISMO features a unique interior that reflects its sporty and exclusive character. The interior is adorned with Alcantara, a premium synthetic material that offers a soft and luxurious feel, as well as a high level of grip and comfort. The Z NISMO also features Recaro sport seats, which are specially designed for the Z NISMO and offer excellent support and ergonomics. The seats are upholstered with leather and Alcantara, and feature the NISMO logo and red stitching. The Z NISMO also has a NISMO-branded steering wheel, shift knob, instrument cluster, and floor mats.
How does the Z NISMO compare to its competitors?
The Z NISMO is a unique proposition in the sports car market, as it offers a rare combination of performance, heritage, and affordability. The Z NISMO competes with some of the world's most renowned and respected sports cars, such as the BMW M2, the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, the Ford Mustang GT, the Honda Civic Type R, and the Toyota GR Supra. Here is how the Z NISMO stacks up against its rivals in terms of price, power, and performance:
- Price: The Z NISMO is expected to start at around $66,000, which makes it one of the most affordable high-performance sports cars in the market. The Z NISMO is significantly cheaper than the BMW M2 ($60,495), the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray ($69,995), and the Toyota GR Supra ($55,540). The Z NISMO is slightly more expensive than the Ford Mustang GT ($43,315) and the Honda Civic Type R ($38,595), but it offers more power and exclusivity than those models.
- Power: The Z NISMO is one of the most powerful sports cars in the market, with 420 horsepower and 384 lb-ft of torque from its twin-turbo V6 engine. The Z NISMO is more powerful than the BMW M2 (405 horsepower and 406 lb-ft of torque), the Ford Mustang GT (460 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque), and the Honda Civic Type R (306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque). The Z NISMO is slightly less powerful than the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (490 horsepower and 465 lb-ft of torque) and the Toyota GR Supra (382 horsepower and 368 lb-ft of torque), but it offers a more engaging and rewarding driving experience than those models.
- Performance: The Z NISMO is one of the fastest and most agile sports cars in the market, with an estimated 0-60 mph time of 4.1 seconds and a top speed of 186 mph. The Z NISMO is faster and more agile than the BMW M2 (4.2 seconds and 174 mph), the Ford Mustang GT (4.4 seconds and 155 mph), and the Honda Civic Type R (5.0 seconds and 169 mph). The Z NISMO is slightly slower and less agile than the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (3.0 seconds and 194 mph) and the Toyota GR Supra (3.9 seconds and 155 mph), but it offers a more balanced and refined handling than those models.
Why should you buy the Z NISMO?
The Z NISMO is the ultimate Z car for enthusiasts, offering a sublime blend of performance, style, and heritage. The Z NISMO is a car that will make you feel alive as it delivers a thrilling and visceral driving experience that will challenge and reward you. The Z NISMO is a car that will make you proud, as it showcases the craftsmanship and passion of Nissan and NISMO. The Z NISMO is a car that will make you happy, as it offers great value and great fun for your money.
If you are looking for a sports car that will amplify your senses, ignite your emotions, and satisfy your soul, look no further than the 2024 Nissan Z NISMO. It is the ultimate Z car for enthusiasts, and it is coming soon to a Nissan dealer near you.